Monday, February 7, 2011

"I'm exhausted!" "Welcome to house-parenting."

          So, I had Neil write the last post with the details of the last two weeks, because, well, there was just too much to cover, and he's better at getting to the point than I am. Our experience, though, has been amazing so far!

          We're training in two houses. For the past few days, we've been in a house with nine kids: two 4th graders up through one 9th grader. They are great! They love being goofy or unique with their hairstyles and their clothing choices (yesterday we saw bangs turned into a unicorn horn, and a pair of shoes designed out of two boxes), they are always asking if they can go outside and ride their bikes, or climb the trees, play games, or listen to Justin Bieber (I know more about that boy already than I ever cared to know, and Never Say Never has been playing on loop in the background of my thoughts for days now); I get a dozen+ hugs every day, and Neil gets the hugs, plus a lot of silly wise cracks (my favorite thus far: "Why you walking funny?"...a demonstration with arms bowed to each side... "You walk like you gonna beat somebody up, but'chu know you can't beat nobody up" -so says our quick-whitted little fourth grader)! Like I said... it has been amazing! These kids fill our day with so many laughs, and so many heart warming moments. So many times, I have stepped back to just take in all the smiles and joy we're able to be a part of, and then I remember their stories -stories full of abuse and abandonment- and I'm filled with a mix of emotions all at once, but overall, I am overcome with just feeling so blessed that we get to be a part of showing these amazing kids what love really is.

          I love our new job, but don't get me wrong, it's not all sunshine and smiles. This job has been challenging. For example, it seems like as much as we try, we just cannot get caught up on our sleep; most days, our "quality" time together consists of a brief "conversation" as one or the other is drifting off to sleep (granted, we should have a little more time in the day once we are done with training); the kids of course have their moments when they grumble, complain, backtalk, storm off, argue and express themselves in ways that remind us that they're not done maturing, and then there are those moments where we struggle in dealing with other adults with different personalities, or perspectives, and we're reminded that we still have room for growing ourselves. "Exhausted" has pretty much been a daily word between us... strung out, annoyed, frustrated, and exasperated have slipped in a time or two as well. 

          It hasn't been easy, and I'm sure more challenging days are ahead, but I know it's worth it; it's so worth it. While "exhausted" has been a part of our time here, it doesn't define our time here. "Blessed," I think, best defines our time here; we just feel so blessed: blessed by the love and acceptance we've already received from some of these kids, blessed by some of the godly people we have had the opportunity to work with, I feel so blessed by the support and encouragement that Neil has given me, and for the opportunity to work, minister, and just have fun with him everyday, and most of all, blessed to be where God has called us using the gifts and talents He has given us.

So blessed,
Jenna

1 comment:

  1. It's so neat to be able to "hear" from you. I'm glad to read that you have been well received by most. I can see you and Neil filling this need so nicely. I can hardly imagine the exhaustion you both must be feeling, but I just want to share a verse that has reminded me in my times of tiredness as a teacher that I am where God wants me and he will give me the strength I need. It's 2 Cor. 4:1- "Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart."
    Ashley Eriksen

    ReplyDelete