Two weeks ago today, Mom called to tell me about her annual girls weekend trip she had just arrived back from, and to tell me about an interesting job opportunity for Neil and I. She and the girls had stayed at the Eagle's Ranch lodge in Atlanta, GA. Eagle's Ranch is "a Christ-centered children's home for boys and girls in crisis and in need of hope and healing." I learned that Eagle's Ranch, as well as countless other boys and girls homes across the U.S., uses a home model for housing the boys and girls in their residential programs. Children in these homes are divided normally by sex and sometimes age into large homes with about 6-8 children per home. The children are (typically) cared for by a married couple called the "House Parents" that live in the home with them 24/7 caring for their basic needs, and providing for the children a stable caring home environment.
Neil quickly shared my interest, and upon finding The Houseparent Network's website, we found around 60 job listings for house parent positions. We narrowed out those that we fit, and that interested us, and began sending out cover letters and resumes. We got several responses right away, and have since submitted back the applications and/or questionnaires that they each sent us to fill out, and this past Thursday we had our first two phone interviews, both of which we are now preparing for 2nd interviews with.
It is so nice to finely find a job that seems to fit, and that, based on all the positive responses seen, seems to agree that we are fitted for. We haven't been hired yet, but I'm optimistic and excited for what is ahead, and so glad to have found such an exciting job that I didn't even know existed!
Five Things I love about the idea of being a House Parent:
- I get to show God's love to hurting children and youth!
- Mine and Neil's past experiences (both separate, and joint) seem perfect for the position!
- Since they pay for housing, insurance, utilities, and job related transportation, we can apply the majority of our pay toward our school debt!
- Neil could use the spare time (while the children are in school) to take online classes and perhaps even classes at a local college to finish his degree!
- I get to work almost all day everyday with my best friend and love, Neil Land!
Jenna
No comments:
Post a Comment