Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ministry in a Non-religious Organization

          When you hear the word "church," what do you think of? A building with a steeple and a cross, maybe some pews and hymns, a pastor and a music minister? That is what I used to think of, but that is not what the Bible means when it uses the word "church." When the Bible says "church," or more correctly, "ecclesia," it should be understood as "body of believers"... God's people, not God's buildings. This simple understanding rocked my world. Why?
  • First, because, when I give to the church now, I do not want the majority of that to go towards supporting the building, and the things that happen in that building, I want that money to go to what God really cares about: his people, my brothers and sisters in Christ who are serving Him, and those who are in struggling or in need. Yes, I realize that most churches do have money set aside for this purpose, but it seems that this is secondary to the costs of maintaining the facilities and numerous paychecks of the church building. 
  • Second, when I serve in the church now, I'm not concerned about singing or playing for the choir, or directing visitors to the correct classroom, I'm concerned about encouraging my fellow believers, assisting them with hard tasks, walking with them through trying times, sacrificing my desires for theirs. I've seen these all to be viewed as of equal importance in todays churches, but I do not see the former in the Bible, while I do see the latter.
  • Third, when I reach out to unbelievers as a member of the church now, I do not consider getting them into the church building as an accomplishment, but instead, I believe that I am responsible to introduce them to the Gospel, and if they repent and believe, then I am responsible to personally disciple them, and welcome them into the church - that is, the body of believers. The gathering of the church is not for unbelievers, but for encouragement of the believers. 
          What does this have to do with House Parenting? Well, basically to help explain why I am not afraid to work in an organization unrelated to a church, and why I would still consider that a ministry. 

          Being a Christian in a non-religious organization does not mean that I hang up my Christianity before I walk in the door. What it does mean is that many around me won't share my same beliefs, but that just makes for a great opportunity to be a witness and share the Gospel with my fellow workers. Christ definitely had his disciples around him, but he was also constantly around the sinners, and similarly, I know that if I were in an organization with few to no fellow believers, I would undoubtedly need to have or find brothers and sisters that could be an encouragement to me, but my service to God doesn't need to be attached to an organization or church building that is seeking to do God's work. As long as I am attached to God, and have the church, my fellow believers, supporting me, I believe I am doing God's will.

          Since researching and interviewing for the position of house parents, I have learned a bit more about what it means to be a Christian in an non-Christian environment. When Neil and I were talking to one organization during our interview, we explained that one of our concerns about working with them was that because we are Christians, we are concerned about how that would work if we worked for them, they said that we could not force our beliefs on the children, but that we could pray at meals with the children, and pray with them before they go to bed; we can also invite them to church, but we can't make them go to church. Another organization, which is Christian, but receives state-funding and thus is under the same state laws explained to us that since the adults go to church all the children have to go, but do not have to participate, just the same as if they were taking an outing to the beach, all children would have to go, but all would not have to get in the water. 

          Like I said above, reaching out to unbelievers is not about getting them into a church or a Christian organization; reaching out with the Gospel to unbelievers is something all believers are called to do; it's like, one of the most fundamental, and most important things we are called to do, and we're supposed to do it no matter where we are in life (and no matter where we work). If I had to agree to work at a place where I couldn't do this at all, I wouldn't work there, but I've found that there are a lot more freedoms for Christians in non-religious organizations than I expected. I think of working in a non-religious organization pretty much like working as a missionary in a limited-access country.

          Honestly, the two places Neil and I are currently talking to are both Christian, and we are proud to partner with them in reaching out to the children and to the community, but if we end up at a Christian organization, it isn't because we are against working at anything other. I had briefly expressed some of these ideas in previous writings, and wanted to fully explain my position. It is something I've given a lot of thought to, but I know I am totally fallible. If this seems wrong or even just a little off to you, please tell me. I would rather blush at my error than walk in my ignorance.

Trying to be a servant of Jesus Christ at all times and in all places, 
Jenna Land

No comments:

Post a Comment