Saturday, December 18, 2010

Oops, My bad


To those who read my last post,

          After completing my last post, I went home thinking, "I'm not so sure I expressed myself well in that one," and later came to the conclusion that I definitely didn't express myself well, so this is simply an explanation & apology for that. 

          After thinking about the post I realized that there were three confusing elements of the post:
  1. the audience (who I was writing to)
  2. the reason for using an argumentative tone
  3. the reason for discussing two very different ideas in one post
          After contemplating the reasons for these problems, I realized that the person I had actually been addressing was my former self (i.e. my former ideas). That was the reason for the strong tone: I was primarily fighting against my former ideas on the issues discussed. In the past six months to a year, Neil's & my understanding of what the church is & should look like has changed dramatically, as I briefly explained in the post. It was this new understanding about church that influenced our perspective on what type of organization we were willing to work for as house parents. A year ago, I wouldn't have agreed with my current perspective on church, or working in a ministry unaffiliated with the "church", as I expressed in the post. It was through a lot of internal turmoil and Scripture-searching that each of these ideas was formed. Since the second half of the post came as a result of the first, it made perfect sense to me to pair them together, but now I realize that much of the what I wrote probably left many confused.

          I apologize if it did confuse you. I am still learning to express myself in this new way, and in general, writing is not always the easiest thing for me (just ask any of my roommates from college, including Neil). Since we still don't have the internet at the house, I wrote "Ministry in a Non-religious Organization" in about 30 minutes, and didn't have much time for editing (thus also the reason for this belated explanation).

          I'm sorry also if the post in any way offended you. Stepping on toes was not my intention; I shouldn't have come across so strongly. The reason I wrote the post was that, in two posts prior to that one, I had briefly mentioned that we we're okay with the idea of going to a non-religious organization, and I expressed that I would explain my reasoning in better detail later. 

          If the strong argumentative tone was taken out, and the ideas were separated or better explained as to why they were together, the post would better have expressed what I truly meant to share with anyone who read it: a simple look at a couple of my thoughts & ideas, those that have helped to shape me and helped me make decisions for the future. 

A Cotton-Headed Ninny-Muggins sometimes,
Jenna the Elf, What's your favorite color?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins, I think it's awesome that you share your thoughts. You communicate very well about why you believe what you believe. Nothing I've read has gone contradictory to the Word. Keep it up, Jen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mitzi (I think calling you Melissa is probably as weird for me as calling me Jenna would be for you, haha).
    Thank you for your encouraging note! You are such a sweetheart, and I'm hoping we get to have many more long chats very soon!
    Love,
    Jenna ;)

    ReplyDelete